description

365Expressions

Writing these "letters" has helped me to process life as a new mother, remain thankful, and come awake to the little moments that make this pretty challenging season simply wonderful.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 57...Happy Trails


Dear Sadie,
Your daddy and I started off kind of rough this morning.  I had a spontaneous idea in the shower as we’re getting ready (and running late due to sleeping in) for our Sunday gathering.  Why not take a last-minute camping trip? We can throw things together and jump in the car and go!  Seeing that this was not going over too well with Daddy, I suggest maybe a day trip?  Maybe… Rolling the idea over in his head, we bounce ideas and opinions back and forth for about an hour.  I even get you kids in the car to go to church. Halt!  Stop!  We are going to go on a trip! –Daddy says, now.  Okay, now we’re getting out of the car.  I slam breakfast around on the stove, decidedly hungry and unwilling to postpone feeding my belly for one more minute over this drawn-out discussion.  Arguing can sure take the fun out of spontaneity! I don’t even have the desire to go—now I just want to go to church late!  So I finally settle down and realize I’m reacting from tiredness from having stayed up too late the night before.  Your daddy and I finally work things out, and then get things moving, packing, heading out the door for our spontaneous family outing.  It was a beautiful day.  The drive in our new van was comfortable for all.  The animals at Yellow River Game Ranch were friendly and happy to see us.  
It was rough getting there, but it was yet another learning experience.  Don’t try to be spontaneous when you’re tired.  Don’t spring things on your husband when he’s not awake yet.  Don’t raise your voice in front of the kids (or at all for that matter).  When you want to be spontaneous, give your calculating husband at least a day or two to think it over. J 

Love,
Mommy

P.S. The rabbits and chicks were your favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment