description

365Expressions

Writing these "letters" has helped me to process life as a new mother, remain thankful, and come awake to the little moments that make this pretty challenging season simply wonderful.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 90...Neither here nor there

Dear Sadie,
Sometimes I just want to shudder at how I sometimes put labels or categories into my life...most often, spiritual vs. unspiritual.  It is true that doing the laundry is not your typical spiritual activity.  But what I am realizing more and more is....it can be!  And why is it?  And should it be?
                                               
My thoughts on the matter begin with the fact that we are spiritual beings!  God, the Spirit, created us in His own image.  And we who are alive spiritually, who have Jesus to make us born again, should keep in mind that all we are doing in these bodies are spiritual acts, whether we realize it or not, because we are spirits doing them!  So this sort of changes my mind about the gospel even!  The good news of Jesus Christ is that He has redeemed us through His death and resurrection, and so through faith in Him, we now are changed, awakened to life, becoming like Him, to live with Him forever! That's it in a nutshell!  We are now free from sin and condemnation and can walk by His Spirit imprinted on ours.  So now, moments like doing the dishes, or putting my baby to sleep at the end of the day, are sacred!  If I look hard enough, everything can matter to the Father.  Oh how this will cure my wandering spirit!  My boredom!  My lackluster!  My ingratitude!  My malcontent!  How I need to remember this and let it resonate in my deep.  Everything is spiritual because God is in ME!  He is all around me and in heaven too, but He is also in me!  Oh, Lord, renew my mind so that I can meditate on this and truly live it out!  Everything I do truly matters, because of what You've done, because You've created me for more!

I started out this letter with the words labels and categories because I see us as Christians walking through doors.  We walk in this door to have our "quiet time."  Then we come out of that room and go through another door to clean house.  Then coming away from that space and time, we call a friend, or go to church, or pay our bills, or dust the fans, or feed the dogs, or go to "work," or.....  We know there's the stuff, and then there's dessert and passion.  There's things we "have" to do, and there are things we "want" to do, and there are things we "ought" to be doing out of duty and yet we don't, and so on.  How do we get out of this matrix of compartmentalizing?  I know I want out!  It is something I am learning, but the common thread to all we do is the Peace and Presence of the LORD with us.  Emmanuel.  Prince of Peace.  I Am.  He is with us.  And not just when we're doing something "spiritual," but when we are in tune with His Spirit in and around us.  He never leaves us.  Kind of scary when you think about it!  Also, a real fact.  Scripture tells us.  So how does that impact or change my life?  If I continue to let Him increasingly have His way, let Him all the way in, I believe those walls and doors will start to fall down to the ground, one by one.  I also believe I will have more impact for His kingdom, because whatever I am doing, I will be seeing it as an opportunity for worship, for making Him known, ministry, or simply loving my Maker, thankful for His grace and mercy towards me.  Lord help us to see with your spiritual eyes all that is before us.  Let the stuff of this life be, moment by moment, opportunities for eternity to break in and steal the show.

Love,
Mommy

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, give thanks to God the Father through Him."  Colossians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment