Today it occurred to me just how closely you observe me and I don't think you nor I actually stop to take notice much. You were in bed and you very nicely said, "Get me my water." I have probably heard similar demands made of me dozens of times, but tonight as I corrected you, I sort of had an epiphany as to why the clarification I was making with you was such a hard concept to grasp. When I said "excuse me?" (Sort of nicely) you replied "I was being sweet." The funny thing being here-- you were! It was said like a true, polite little southern girl! I almost laughed. Then it dawned on me how many times a day you hear me making demands of you in the same nice manner, expecting the appropriate responses...I think I try to always tag on a please somewhere in there...bring your plate to the kitchen, please...Sadie, please pick up all the books...(Ok, yes, I must admit my tone doesn't always remain in the "sweet" category, but nobody's that perfect!). So now i get it...you are merely imitating your mommy! You seemed to genuinely understand the differentiation I made about mommies and children and their roles, requests and demands, etc. I walked away going huh. And then wow. I wish I had more pivotal moments like these! But in all truth, how responsive will you now be to our little teachable moment? We will just have to see, won't we? :)
Dear Sadie (ever-so-sweetly)
No comments:
Post a Comment