description

365Expressions

Writing these "letters" has helped me to process life as a new mother, remain thankful, and come awake to the little moments that make this pretty challenging season simply wonderful.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Day 225...I'm right with you

So much of what I write to you is a "note to self." That is to say, I am relearning things about life, God, motherhood, children, over and over again, until the day I die.

One of those things I actually enjoy being reminded of on a frequent basis is the super importance of being present. I know I must have talked to you a bunch of times about it already, but I still have it in me to learn. And so I must say it again. One of the primary gifts of live we can give to others is our very present selves. No distractions, no cluttered mind of pressing needs, no discontentment, just pure love that says, "nothing else matters but you right here right now." And this gift, especially when invested in our children, is priceless. This kind of selfless love never goes wasted. You can never spend quality time paying attention to one of your kids and then say, "man I wish I folded that laundry instead!" If you do, you missed out, and so did your child. Because you can't help but feel the effects of being present in a moment where you've given of yourself. It resonates in your soul and in your spirit and the moment reminds you why you exist. What you are here for. You are here for the now. To love the person God sets before you with all you got. That is why the greatest commandment we can never forget: "love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength." Experience is everything. If someone ever tells you that the experience of God is not that important, then they are speaking from a tasteless faith. It is impossible to truly know God and walk away from Him saying experience is unimportant. It is the presence of God that drives and motivates us to walk with Him daily, just as He intended in the very beginning, walking with Adam and Eve in the cool of the day. To be one with Him is intimate knowledge. And so we must, as imitators who bear the very nature of God, be present, real, in-the-moment, substantial, authentic friends who listen, who touch, who see, who feel, who deeply care what another needs. To not be content to turn a dead ear or look the other way. Especially as parents. It's what we are here for. To give you two our love, attention, and devotion to meet you where are. It's so easy to tune people out, especially children. But I have to choose moment by moment, am I going to wish my life away, or stay stuck, or surround myself with distractions so I don't ever do the hard stuff? I have to choose to be present, as hard as it is sometimes, and this simple selfless act will not be gratifying immediately always, but it is where life genuinely happens.

Dear Sadie

No comments:

Post a Comment