description

365Expressions

Writing these "letters" has helped me to process life as a new mother, remain thankful, and come awake to the little moments that make this pretty challenging season simply wonderful.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 162...parties

As fun as birthday parties are, I'm learning the role of a mother giving them for her children.  Although I said I didn't want to, I combined your parties into one this year, with your permission. It made me so proud that you were so willing to share your special day with Titus.  It helps that you have exactly the same friends right now, and that Titus has little to no idea what's going on anyways!

But like I started out saying, as fun as birthdays are, they can get kind of crazy.  And though your mama enjoys parties, hosting, making people feel welcome, leading the activities and all of that...I just wish there were a way to slooooow it all down.  You have to sort of stay within a time frame and keep the flow going, while what I really want to be doing is sitting down and taking it all in...my babies are growing up, and this is "their day," and I want to sit back and have fun with them and watch what they do and how they react.  After all, it only comes around once a year!

It was a fun day, and I don't want to take away from that.  It's just that all the preparing you do, for it all to end in two short hours, it's hard to soak in the moment, as I so often try to do while you both are so young.

Four years into it, and each year, some things keep getting easier.  That is, you kind of know what to expect and what to do and not do, each year adding to the knowledge of the one before.  Scratch that!  That's a tradition!  Fun!  Yikes!

I hope you take one year at a time and learn as you go, like me.  And allow yourself to look like a fool at times, and not get caught up with perfect, keeping up with the Joneses, or doing way more than your kids will ever notice.  Keep it about them, and you're sure to build many memories that you will cherish for a lifetime.

I'll never forget your first (and last?) "joint party."  You two are growing closer by the minute, so of course it suited you well to celebrate you together (not to mention it suited the pocketbook as well!).  My favorite moment was the one depicted by the picture, where you, the big sister, reached over and nonchalantly covered Titus' mouth so he wouldn't prematurely blow out the candles.  I love that he doesn't mind the way you "mother" him, so much.  It's so darn cute.  At least he doesn't mind for now. :)

Dear Sadie.

No comments:

Post a Comment