description

365Expressions

Writing these "letters" has helped me to process life as a new mother, remain thankful, and come awake to the little moments that make this pretty challenging season simply wonderful.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Day 163...yes, captain!

So yesterday we were trying to get baths done and go to bed as quickly as possible, as you guys had a fun and active day with no naps over at a friend's house.  So I said rather sweetly, "Okay, Sadie.  Time to go upstairs and get ready for a bath now."  Your reply was, "No, Mommy.  I'm going to stay here and color a little longer."  You didn't say it nastily or anything, just rather matter-of-factly.  So to that I replied, "Okaaay, Sadie that's kind of being bossy with Mommy.  How about you try asking me, 'Mommy, can I stay here just a minute and then come?"  I was trying to show you the difference between your statement and asking for my permission in a respectful manner.  You seemed to get the point rather easily, and then replied, "Okay. When I get older, I will boss my children."  I don't doubt it! :)  I finished with, "Yes, Sadie, we do get to boss our children, but I think of it more like training.  You are in training on what to do, not do, things like that.  So mommy and daddy are helping you learn those behaviors."  You understood, but somehow I think you like the idea of being the "boss."  Future leader in training! :)


Dear Sadie.


"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

No comments:

Post a Comment