Dear Sadie,
Spontaneity. Make space for it. Make room in your heart for the unplanned and unexpected. It will be part of the pathway to your freedom.
Last night your granddaddy suggested at a moment's notice that we should all pile in and visit your daddy at Menchie's Frozen Yogurt on his last night of work. My heart was delighted, because I love spontaneity, and I really wanted to go see your dad at work one more time before the great transition and the new adventure began. I felt like I needed to say good-bye too, as Menchie's has been a "part of the family" for nearly two years now.
But spontaneity isn't really what I had in mind to talk to you about today. It's more about transformation and expectations in life. I never expected to be the wife of a manager. I did expect to have kids, and I expected to be a wife. I expected to be 110 pound and eat whatever I wanted forever. I did not expect to be the carefree one, willing to let anything happen to her that needed to happen. I was the one who had her life planned and held on to self-discipline and determination to fulfill lifelong goals. Your daddy was the one with the tattoo and the deep-end trip to Colorado of partying and snowboarding. I expected to have time to play the piano every day of my life, and do whatever I wanted. I had always imagined teaching in a classroom, or writing a children's book, working in a foreign land with people of darker complexion, holding hands in a playful circle with children of big, toothy grins. You have dreams when you are a child, and sometime those dreams come true. Sometimes they take time to happen. Or they may never manifest at all. The story unfolds as you go. That is the adventure.
Monday daddy will start a new chapter for us at a restaurant closer to home. An answer to prayer came when our hearts had been yearning for change for some time. With a brief phone call, I knew our long-awaited answer had come in. And now Menchie's is gone, and Newk's is here. Did I imagine any of this as a child? No. Am I in love with my husband and want to support him on his journey? That, my daughter, is where I feel the adventure. What I dream up in my imagination may or may not ever come to pass. What will be absolutely fulfilling though, is when I surrender my heart to the Lord and let His peace flow in my wherever the wind blows our sails. That's adventure. That's peace. I hope you will come to know that kind of life. A life when you can let go of your plans, your expectations, and say, "Jesus, You are enough."
Advent is the hope of the second coming. Jesus' coming. Adventure is where we get this word of advent. Jesus came first and will come again, in the spirit of adventure. That is what life is like with Jesus. It is never dull. Life is never boring with Jesus. It is colorful, passionate, and whimsical with Jesus. I cannot wait to see how He uses your gifts and your heart for His kingdom. Dream big dreams, and let His wind carry you on. Have expectations, but let the Lord take You where He wants you. It's fantastic.
Love,
Mommy
"Whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it." Matthew 16:25
Get lost in Jesus...
No comments:
Post a Comment