description

365Expressions

Writing these "letters" has helped me to process life as a new mother, remain thankful, and come awake to the little moments that make this pretty challenging season simply wonderful.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day 180...bookstore day, part 1: teenage girls

How scary is the life of a misguided teenage girl.

So I'm sitting in the bookstore cafe, trying to keep my mind centered on the book I'm grazing, munching on my wild blueberry muffin and sipping an americano.  Meanwhile, these two girls no more than fifteen sit at the table beside me within arm's reach.  One reads aloud to her friend, while the friend peruses her smartphone.  The one reading aloud gleefully shares segments from the novel she picked up, a casual account of a provocative fourteen year-old.  That's right, fourteen!  (and no, I'm not trying to listen, it's almost as if they want someone to hear, the way they are talking)...the first scene is a girl waking up from yet another drunken party next to a boy whose name she doesn't know.  "That is just like you!" smartphone girl proclaims to the reader.  "I know!" the reader proudly agrees. She reads a little silently, and then shares the next profound detail in the scene.

As I try my hardest to block the girls out and focus on my reading, my my mind wanders to their home lives...their parents probably have no clue, or either don't care, about what they're reading while out on a seemingly harmless trip to the bookstore.  Forget what they're reading!  How about their misled lives?  They're so young, too!  How could this be?  I sigh and try to focus on my book on writing.  Ugh...

I think about you.  My pure, precious, innocent Sadie.  

Will this be my daughter someday?  I think to myself.  No, she will know better!   ...I hope?  Yes.  She will know.  I'll make sure of it.

I think back to when I was fifteen.  I did some things with my friends I am not proud to mention.  While not coming close to drugs and sex, still, I knew better.  Even with my close relationship with God, sweet little Christy went along with her peers.  

How will I ever manage the teenager years?  God help me!  All I can imagine is, I will pray through this "raising," me and your daddy will.  It's hard even imagining you being this old, honestly.  I am believing for your trust in Jesus.  Life can be a scary mess with all the influences out there.  But it's also a beautiful one when spent for Christ!  All I can do is trust Him and continue to seek Him with all of my heart!  Here is to you being a shining light for Jesus in this dark and orphaned world.

Dear Sadie.


No comments:

Post a Comment