description

365Expressions

Writing these "letters" has helped me to process life as a new mother, remain thankful, and come awake to the little moments that make this pretty challenging season simply wonderful.

Friday, August 17, 2012

Day 187...am i beautiful?

The other day when you were playing with a good friend of yours, five year-old Jude, you sweetly asked,

"Am I beautiful?"

My heart just dropped for a moment and time stood still.  She's four!  She seriously just asked that?

I honestly have no clue what I'm in for, obviously!  But yes, it starts young.

Identity.  Beauty.  Acceptance.  Love.  Vanity.  Rejection.  Security.

Am I beautiful?

It's funny to think about...how many times have we told you...have your grandparents told you...and yet, you want to know what the boy next door thinks.

Should I be worried?

My heart tells me it's normal, that what you're feeling you should be feeling.

What I told you was a bit different.  I said, "Sadie, right now the only ones you should be asking that question are Daddy...and Jesus."  You took that pretty well.  It made you smile.  Whether you really understand yet is probably unlikely.  Nevertheless, it's the truth.

Someday you will find that boys think you are beautiful, and it will make your head spin.  You'll know what to think of that when you're old enough.

But for now, remember who your princes are, and they'll graciously guide you to the other side...especially Jesus.  For He knows your beauty better than anyone else. He made you.  He makes all things beautiful.

Dear Sadie.

"He has made all things beautiful in its time."  Ecclesiastes 3:11

No comments:

Post a Comment