description

365Expressions

Writing these "letters" has helped me to process life as a new mother, remain thankful, and come awake to the little moments that make this pretty challenging season simply wonderful.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 23...Presence

This might seem like a piggy-back to Day 12, but it's a theme running through my blood right now, and I can't help but let it flow.  The other day I had a moment of clarity about “presence,” and what a true gift it is to the ones we love.  And to those we don’t know, for that matter.  I have a hard time summing up what presence really means, it's hard one to define.  But I hope it’s something that you can figure out and cultivate as you grow.  It’s a quality few people can embody simply because they are caught up with the cares of the world, fears, regrets, grudges (unforgiveness), anger, disappointment, and concerns that they simply should not be concerned with.  All of this is the baggage that keeps our hands occupied.  But I suggest to you, my daughter, and this is something that the Lord only can do in you, that you can be presently without baggage right now, today.  If you stop and be still long enough and regularly enough as you go about your days, the Lord will show you your heart, where the hurts are, where you are hurting others.  You can thank Him in the process, and out of your gratitude will flow love like you never knew.  Whatever baggage labels you carry, they will fall to the ground, and your hands will be free to move in God's way.  Your eyes will be clear to see people for who they are and not what they do.  Your lips will speak the rhema word of God to others in the proper time, and not words of wickedness.  Your arms will fully embrace with the real, tangible love of God to all in your circle of influence.  With your voice you will sing songs of truth to your God with a free spirit, and not be clogged with yucky insecurity or fear of rejection, but will flow in the carefree beauty of a child in love.  I want to close with a journal I wrote yesterday.  This one is very personal, but I hope that it speaks to you in such a way that will help you see the value in loving empty-handedly. 

“The Restful Wife”…
“Rather than thinking that my husband doesn’t love me properly or isn’t affectionate enough with me, I’ve resolved myself to simply delight myself in the Lord, trusting He’s making me a beautiful and confident bride.  Then when my husband does shower me with love, lend a soft kiss, compliment me tenderly…I will be present to receive.  I will believe it.  I will be grateful.  I will return it.  I am at rest.”

Being in the present simultaneously partners with rest.  And this is just one example of what it looks like to be present.  It’s a God-given quality, because He is the I Am, which means, (and this does not summarize it entirely by any means) He is present to be every bit of grace we need in every single moment.  And in order to carry that presence in us to pour out to others, we have to receive it first from Him.  Giving and receiving pure love is a gift only transacted by the Giver Himself.  He is the banker.  He lets us become His representative lenders because we are part of the family business.  If we can’t receive His forgiveness, His love, His mercy, His faithfulness, His salvation, we cannot expect to give it to others.  This is a lesson in life I will continue to learn for the rest of my days.  I look forward to watching you grow in His Presence.  Give your life away with joy because you are safe, you are loved, and you are honestly free to give away what’s being given to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment