description

365Expressions

Writing these "letters" has helped me to process life as a new mother, remain thankful, and come awake to the little moments that make this pretty challenging season simply wonderful.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Day 33...Writing stories

Dear Sadie,
Today we did something new, fun, memorable and imaginative. We had a blast!  You narrated your own original stories to me as I typed your words.  Wow!  What imagination you have!  This is something I did with 4 and 5 year-olds while I was in college training to be a teacher.  Dictation, dictation, dictation.  But never did we have kids do whole stories!  They were usually one sentence dictations or a phrase or a word describing a picture that they just drew.  You don't have the skills yet to put your thoughts down on paper, but that doesn't mean you aren't inspired!  Today proved this. I've had you dictate to me several letters to loved ones, but this was the first time you had come up with stories with each part present: a beginning, a middle and an end, where I was able to keep up with you and write it all down. Then you illustrated them with no help from me.  I've never seen you draw a complete picture so fast...it was already in your head!  They corresponded perfectly with what you were seeing in your mind's eye.  I'm absolutely amazed.  If we put these in a book, the progression of your storytelling is going to be obvious.  And what a collection of stories we will have!  I am so excited to have a little writer on my hands.  Then when you were finished with your two stories, you insisted that I tell the stories next, and you sat at the computer and "typed" my stories.  My little teacher!   When you become a parent of a three year-old, I highly suggest doing this.  Your child's eyes will just light up at the sight of their story, sitting before them in print, bound together in a book.  They will see with their own eyes that they, too, can make something beautiful.  Intelligently inspired and imagined, even in their youth.  And it will spur them on to greater things down the road.  Priceless.  Being a mommy is such a gift.  I'm ecstatic.
Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment