description

365Expressions

Writing these "letters" has helped me to process life as a new mother, remain thankful, and come awake to the little moments that make this pretty challenging season simply wonderful.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Day 61...The cool kid


Dear Sadie,
The other day I was looking at your brother standing there looking very cool in his dark cargo jean shorts, gray skateboarding t-shirt, and black & white slip-on Adidas. He looked like a true “cool kid.”  But he’s only one!  I think about just how great it is to be able to dress you kids in whatever we think you should be wearing, and you just have to wear it!  You don’t really have a say in the matter.  Even at three, you never really have an opinion.  You have things you like more than others, but you never complain or fight me.  Yet! J  I can’t help but think about how this applies to other areas of parenting.  How long can I portray you in the colors and lights that I choose?  For now, I am the one who interprets your talents, your personality, your likes and dislikes, and just about everything about you.  But soon, you and Titus will be standing on your own two feet.  No longer will we dress you, literally or figuratively.  You are going to shine in your own true colors.  And it may not be what I would choose, but you will wear what Christ has put in you and your differences will make you unique in Him.  I will encourage this in you, and pray that you will be true to yourself, not conform to what others think you should be, and show yourself as hidden in Christ.  Because it is there that you will shine the brightest in all of the colors He has chosen for you.

Love,
Mommy


No comments:

Post a Comment