description

365Expressions

Writing these "letters" has helped me to process life as a new mother, remain thankful, and come awake to the little moments that make this pretty challenging season simply wonderful.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day 67...Money Talk

Dear Sadie,
I don't think you are ever too young to begin teaching your children about money.  Here we are with one income, and it's no secret that we struggle to pay the bills.  Without showing you stress and anxiety of our situation, I try to be an open example of gratitude for all that we have, as well as wisdom in how we spend what we do have.  On days like today, I take the opportunity to paint a realistic picture that we have certain limitations when the money isn't there.  It was funny, really, when you asked could we go to the zoo tomorrow.  I said no.  Then you said, "No, but can we go another day soon?"  As I explained to you that we won't go for a little while because it costs a lot of money and we just don't have it," you replied, "Oh, but we don't have to take the zoo home with us!"  Recalling the movie trailer for "We Bought a Zoo," you thought I meant that buying the zoo to take it home with us would be a lot of money!  "No, Mommy.  I love the animals, but I don't want to take them home with me."  I tried to clarify the whole ticket concept to you, and then reassured her that when we did have the money, we would go to the zoo as soon as possible.  Such an animal lover you are.  I hope to always convey to you that while money isn't everything, we will always do what we can, not fret about what we can't do, and certainly we can work to find other more simple ways to entertain ourselves. I know you are only three, but like I said, the earlier you find out about money, the more wise with giving and spending you will be.  I was reminded tonight about how we can't just know about "plenty" and "in want" theoretically, learning to be content in whichever circumstance we are in.  We have to experience both to appreciate it all.  The Giver of all.

Love,
Mommy

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Philippians 4:12

No comments:

Post a Comment